Sunday, March 9, 2008

Training for the Big One


NOB HILL, ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO--I have been training for the last 4 weeks. I started pretty much at zero. Here are the mileage totals so far:
  • Week #1: Feb. 17th, 90 miles
  • Week #2: Feb. 24th, 106 miles
  • Week #3: Mar. 2, 107 miles
  • Week #4: Mar. 9, 133 miles
The goal from here on out it to increase the mileage by 20 miles per week until the last week. That week is not totally certain, but I am planning on leaving someplace around April 20th. So that gives me 4 weeks to get ready!

I am riding the bike I plan on taking cross country, a Gary Fisher Tassajara. Yes, this is a mountain bike. I am training with heavy, fat tires and carrying two bags and half a gallon of water. I'm not sure what this all weighs, but the whole thing rides like I'm trying to pedal a pickup truck.

No comments: